NYC Criminal Attorney
New York City criminal defense attorney Mark I. Cohen is highly respected throughout the United States and New York State criminal justice systems for his aggressive pursuit of justice on behalf of his clients.
For more than 29 years, Mr. Cohen has provided exceptional criminal defense legal services to individuals and businesses in pre-arrest investigations and post-arrest cases. In the United States District Courts, Mr. Cohen regularly defends cases throughout New York and New Jersey and has handled cases in Virginia, New Hampshire, and Florida.
Mark I. Cohen practices throughout the New York State System including:
- New York City
Our experienced NYC criminal attorney also represents individuals and businesses in the defense of a variety of United States, New York State and New York City Administrative Agency licensing and disciplinary actions.
New York City Criminal Defense
- Automobile Crimes
- Computer Crime
- Criminal Record Sealing
- Desk Appearance Tickets (DAT)
- Domestic Violence
- Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) / Driving While Impaired (DWAI) / Driving Under the Influence of Drugs (DWUI)
- Grand Jury Investigations
- Grand Larceny
- Federal Illegal Reentry
- Fraud Defense
- Identity Theft / Immigration / Passport Crimes
- Money Laundering
- Narcotics Crime
- RICO and Enterprise Corruption Offenses
- Weapon Charges
- White Collar Crimes
Representing clients in these types of cases requires a thorough understanding of both state and federal law. Fortunately, Mark I. Cohen has decades of experience handling a wide range of criminal cases both in and out of the courtroom, making him uniquely equipped to represent New York defendants.
How an Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney Can Help
Being charged with a criminal offense can have devastating consequences for the accused’s personal life and reputation, with many being unable to focus on work, sleep, or concentrate on day to day activities. Hiring an experienced criminal defense attorney can go a long way towards alleviating some of these stresses, as they are able to:
- Provide clients with an honest view of their situation and potential defenses;
- Explain the law to their clients in a clear and concise way;
- Conduct in-depth investigations into a client’s case;
- Uncover evidence that will support their client’s defense;
- Request the dismissal of evidence that was obtained improperly by law enforcement;
- Negotiate plea agreements on their client’s behalf;
- Protect their clients’ legal interests in the courtroom by providing aggressive representation;
- Submit appeals in the event of conviction; and
- Help clients seal or expunge their criminal records.
The steps our legal team can take to help you with your own charges depends on a number of factors, including where you are in your case, as the stages of criminal prosecution tend to be complex and confusing. For this reason, we dedicate ourselves to helping our clients through each step of their case, from the initial arrest and arraignment to plea deal negotiations and trial.
The Stages of Criminal Prosecution
Each stage of a criminal prosecution is important and can have major repercussions for defendants, so it is important to obtain legal representation as soon as possible after arrest, including when:
- Given a written notice of arraignment, which is also known as a Desk Appearance Ticket (DAT) and can lead to an earlier release;
- Being booked prior to arraignment, which usually occurs within 24 hours of arrest;
- Required to attend a pretrial interview, where a court officer will attempt to gather information about the case, including whether the accused will be represented by a public defender or a privately retained attorney;
- Being arraigned, which constitutes an accused’s first official court appearance, where he or she will be given notice of the charges and the judge will set bail, release the individual, or remand him or her into custody; and
- At trial, which must take place within a certain time frame, usually six months for felony trials and between 60 and 90 days for misdemeanor charges.
No matter where you are in the criminal prosecution process, we can help represent your interests. To learn more about how a dedicated New York criminal defense lawyer can help you build a strong defense in your own case, please contact Mark I. Cohen, Esq. today via phone or online message.
A Track Record of Success
Our firm’s successes are not limited to cases involving violations and minor misdemeanors, but include well-known felony cases, in which our clients faced stiff penalties. Whether a case is small or large, our legal team is dedicated to using the same strategies and exhibiting the same commitment to all of our clients. Our goal is always the same: to help you get your life back. Please call our legal team today to learn more.
Contact An Experienced NYC Criminal Attorney
Contact Mark I. Cohen today to work with an NYC criminal attorney who had decades of experience. Put your future in the hands of someone who can achieve the best outcome for your New York City criminal defense case. Mark I. Cohen is available 24/7 for all emergencies at 917-414-8585 or contact us online.