From Judges & Prosecutors
Judges and Prosecutors agree that Mark I. Cohen is a highly respected criminal defense attorney:
“I want to thank the lawyers in this case who did an excellent job and acted reasonably, and you certainly, Mr. Cohen, represented the interest of your client effectively and passionately.”
– Quote from the Honorable J. Paul Oetken, United States District Judge for the Southern District of New York, on August 17, 2017
“…Mr. Cohen’s effort…in everything he has done before the Court, is A-Plus…[R]ecently, in another case…[before me], the result he achieved for his client…was quite impressive.”
– Quote from the Honorable Kenneth M. Karas, United States District Judge for the Southern District of New York, on May 22, 2017.
“I just wanted to let you know that my last day in the SDNY will be [soon]. After that, I’ll be moving [on]…
It has been a pleasure working with you over the years. I’ve always thought that you are an excellent attorney—for a while now, you’ve been on my short list of defense attorneys I would call should I find myself in hot water in NYC (fingers crossed that never happens!).
Best of luck with everything!
– Chief, Narcotics Unit | United States Attorney’s Office Southern District of New York
“… please know that your professionalism and strong advocacy on behalf of your clients is always noted and appreciated here.”
– Quote from an Executive, Office of the New York County District Attorney’s Office
“…I was very specific about my warnings about what would happen to [your client] if he failed to appear… (b)ut after… defense counsel’s earnest and thoughtful argument on behalf of his client, I have agreed… that I will impose the original sentence and not enhance his sentence because of his failure to appear… you have your lawyer to thank for it….”
– Quote from the Honorable Miriam Cyrulnik, New York State Supreme Court Judge, on December 9th, 2016.
“[T]he gentleman standing next to you is one of the best lawyers in the courthouse. He fights very, very hard for his clients, and if I were standing at the bar before a judge and I needed a lawyer, Mr. Cohen would be at the top of my list as one of the lawyers I would pick to represent me. More importantly, if either one of my two children were in a situation, if they were a defendant in a criminal case, Mr. Cohen will be at the top of my list to represent one of my two children.”
– Quote from the Honorable Richard Weinberg, New York State Supreme Court Judge, on March 13, 2015.
“So I have very sophisticated counsel here and, Mr. Cohen, [your client] is very fortunate in having you as his attorney, and I hope he appreciates that.”
– Quote from the Honorable Denise L. Cote, United States District Judge for the Southern District of New York, on May 9, 2014.
“Excellent lawyering…. You have a very good lawyer, one of the best.”
– Quote from the Honorable Bonnie Wittner, Justice of the New York State Supreme Court, on November 16, 2007.
“I do want to commend the Government and defense counsel for their superb work in this case. You both put in a lot of time and effort. You’ve both been guided by what I think is the only true goal or the only legitimate goal in criminal practice, which is the true pursuit of justice and the pursuit of the truth…. I am honored myself to have had both of you appear before me.”
– Quote from the Honorable Dora L. Irizarry, United States District Court Judge for the Eastern District of New York, on July 12, 2006.
“Thank you counsel, for your assistance…. That’s the best answer I’ve ever heard on general deterrence.”
– Quote from the Honorable Loretta Preska, United States District Judge for the Southern District of New York, on September 27, 2005.
“Mr. Cohen is a very able and very aggressive and a very sincere lawyer who dedicates himself completely to the affairs of his client.”
– Quote from the Honorable Alvin K. Hellerstein, United States District Court Judge for the Southern District of New York, on August 16, 2005.
“I don’t know of another lawyer who would have the imagination, the drive, the ability and the persuasiveness to put all of the information that you put before me in relationship to [defendant]. I want that on the record…. You’ve done an extraordinary job.”
– Quote from the Honorable Alvin K. Hellerstein, United States District Judge for the Southern District of New York, on October 14, 2004.
“You make a fine bail application because you are a fine lawyer, Mr. Cohen.”
– Quote from the Honorable Leslie Crocker Snyder, New York State Supreme Court Judge, on March 2, 2001.
Schedule an Appointment
Mark I. Cohen
New York City Criminal Defense Attorney
New York, NY 10007