NYC Federal Illegal Reentry Lawyer
Mark I. Cohen, ESQ: Your NYC Federal Illegal Reentry Lawyer
Mark I. Cohen is an experienced federal illegal reentry attorney in New York City who represents defendants charged with illegal reentry in the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.
Illegal reentry after removal (deportation) is a federal crime pursuant to 8 U.S.C. § 1326. After a non-citizen alien has been legally “removed” (deported) from the United States, the United States Code makes it a felony for that alien to reenter or be found within the United States without the approval of the United States Attorney General or the Department of Homeland Security. Illegal reentry charges are brought most often against an alien who reenters or is found within the United States without governmental approval, after having committed three or more misdemeanors and either a non-aggravated or aggravated felony (e.g. narcotics and violent offenses).
Generally, for an Assistant United States Attorney to convict someone of illegal reentry, the prosecutor must prove, beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant reentered the United States after having been removed, excluded, or denied admission from or to the United States.
Pursuant to the United States Code, the penalties for illegal reentry can include a fine and/or imprisonment for up to two years. If an alien has previously been convicted of a felony or has been convicted of three or more misdemeanors for drug-related crimes or crimes involving bodily harm (or threats thereof), he or she faces up to ten years in prison. There is a twenty-year maximum term of imprisonment for aggravated felons.
During his 28 years of federal criminal defense practice, Mr. Cohen has mastered the procedural and substantive law pertaining to illegal reentry and has also mastered the United States Sentencing Guidelines as they pertain to illegal reentry offenses.
Why Hire Mark I Cohen As Your NYC Federal Illegal Reentry Lawyer?
By retaining Mark I. Cohen, a defendant maximizes the chances that:
(1) he she will be released from custody on the lowest possible amount of bail or on his or her own recognizance;
(2) he or she may be able to prevail on a motion to dismiss the indictment (if the indictment is defective);
(3) he or she will be able to suppress any evidence illegally seized by investigators (if the evidence was obtained in violation of the defendant’s rights);
(4) he or she will be able to prevail at trial;
(5) he or she will be able to obtain the best plea bargain possible should there be compelling evidence of the defendant’s guilt; and
(6) he or she will be able to receive the lowest amount of prison time possible.
Contact Him Today!
If you have been charged with illegal reentry, you should contact Mark I. Cohen, an experienced Federal Criminal Defense lawyer, to maximize your chances of preserving your freedom, reputation, and assets.
Schedule an Appointment
Mark I. Cohen
New York City Criminal Defense Attorney
New York, NY 10007